Thursday, May 31, 2012

A Dark Day for Seattle

Yesterday at lunch time I had a feeling that either something really bad had just happened or was about to.  When I was at the YMCA working out, I made the mistake of turning on the TV on the elliptical machine and found out what it was.

The news was on about 4 victims who had been shot and died, another person shot and fighting for their life, and ending with the suspected shooter killing himself.  I felt absolutely horrible.  My heart and sympathy goes out to the victims and their families.

I just can't understand these acts of violence.  Why can't we all love each other and get along?

So after learning of this, it influenced the cat painting I made yesterday.  I was in a sad and gloomy mood.

I experimented with granulating watercolors.  Daniel Smith makes a fascinating watercolor paint they call Moonglow.  It is great for shadows, and it granulates in very interesting ways, but it's also completely unpredictable-- at least I've found it to be so.  So the basis of this painting is Moonglow, with some cerulean blue, electric blue (which is actually sort of iridescent) and a touch of alizarin crimson.  Here is the resulting painting.  I'm really happy with the granulation.  What do you think?


 




2 comments:

  1. This is my favorite cat thus far!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you like it! I was afraid it might be a little too dark, compared to my usual palette.

    ReplyDelete