Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Glacier National Park~ Trout Lake- July 12, 2012

Thursday July 12th we decided to hike over Howe Ridge to Trout Lake.  We didn't know what we were in for when we started.  Here are Andy and Richard near the beginning of our journey that day.


Note:  they are smiling.

This was a very steep trail and it seemed very long, although the trail to Cobalt Lake was actually longer I think.  This trail was 3.7 miles each way, with an elevation gain of over 2,000 vertical feet in the first 2.5 miles.  Then it went down steeply 1,300 vertical feet in just over a mile.  Oh, and did I mention it was in the 90's that day?

Trout Lake from Above
Here is a view of Trout Lake before the descent.  You can see trees from a previous fire.


We made it after all!  We were the only ones there so no one to take our family photo.

I pulled out my painting supplies and did a painting of this beautiful locale that we all worked so hard to get to.

Heather Painting Trout Lake
Here is the view of pretty much what I was looking at when I painted.


The mosquitoes were eating us alive, so after lunch and this painting we were back on our way.  It wasn't really much easier on the way back.  Actually it was harder for me, because it was steep going back with a million switchbacks, the blister pads on my feet didn't help and my blisters popped, and although we each started out with two bottles of water, it wasn't nearly enough and we ran out of water on the way back.  I don't know how much it's possible for a human being to sweat in a day, especially when dehydrated, but I'm sure we were doing maximum output.



Here's a photo on the way back.  Andy is sucking up some of the last of the water.  Notice no one is smiling now!  I collapsed on the way back, but I guess it was just briefly.  I was given 7 grapes and somehow just holding on to them and knowing I had them got me through the next mile, at which point I shared them with Richard and Andy.

Obviously we made it because I'm here writing this.  When we got back to the car we each drank a liter or 2 of water.  In retrospect I'm glad we went on this hike, but at the time it sure was a challenge!  It probably wouldn't have been so bad if it hadn't been soo hot, we'd had more water, and my boots were better broken in!

No comments:

Post a Comment