Thursday, July 19, 2012

Glacier National Park~ St. Mary Lake- July 9, 2012

I know it's been quite some time since my last post.  We just got back from a week and a half long trip to Glacier National Park.  Before that we were busy preparing for the trip.

We left Edmonds, Washington on Saturday July 7th.  We drove straight through to Kalispell, Montana that first day.  At the hotel that night I picked up a brochure about an arts and crafts fair in Whitefish, Montana.  Sunday the 8th was the last day.  I've always wanted to visit Whitefish and of course I love seeing arts and crafts, so I begged my husband to go even though it was opposite of the way we needed to go to get to Glacier National Park.

There were a lot of beautiful things in Whitefish.  It was interesting to me to see the differences in the art created in different places.  I bought a butterfly hair barrette from a lady who upcycled plastic soda pop bottles.  I'd never seen anything like it before.  Maybe I'll post a photo of it later.

Then we were back on our way to the park.  We entered Glacier on Sunday morning/afternoon and drove the entire length of the going to the sun road, from west to east.  I was awestruck by the beauty and took thousands of photos.  (That's part of the reason it took so long to get this post up-- sifting through those thousands of photos!)  Richard is working on compiling a video montage of that drive.  When it's done he'll post it on YouTube.  I can't decide on which photos to include here of the Going-to-the-Sun Road, so you'll just have to wait.

We spent a few days camping at St. Mary campsite.  We took a little hike to the lake the first night.  It was so beautiful, but unfortunately I didn't have my painting equipment with me.  We HAD to go back the next day.  I know this blog is getting pretty wordy so here are some photos.



Richard took this photo of me painting on the shore.  Do you see why they call it "Big Sky Country"?

And here is the painting I did at this location.



No comments:

Post a Comment